Metal Framed Skylight
Metal Framed Skylights
Part 1 GENERAL
1.01 WORK INCLUDED
- Product engineering and fabrication techniques, shop drawings, structural calculations and professional engineering approval stamps for large and small missile impact tested skylights designed for curb-mounted application.
- Fabrication and installation of aluminum and polycarbonate skylight system.
- Finish of skylight assembly and accompanying flashing metals.
- Gaskets and sealants.
- Skylight glazing.
- Skylight flashing.
1.02 RELATED WORK
- Section 05120 Structural Steel
- Section 07510 Roofing.
- Section 07600 Flashing and Sheet Metal.
- Section 07900 Joint Sealers.
- Section 08800 Polycarbonate Panels and Glazing.
- ASCE 7-96.
- ANSI A58.1, Z97.1 - 1984.
- ASTM E 330, ASTM E 331, ASTM E 283.
- SBCCI Test Standard determining impact resistance from windborne debris. SSTD 1297.
- Metropolitan Dade County Protocol PA 201, PA 202, PA 203.
- American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) 501, 603.8, 605.2, 607.1
1.04 QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Provide a metal framed skylight and application that is structurally sound, impact resistant, and weather tight conforming to applicable testing and performance requirements described herein.
- Except as otherwise indicated, requirements for metal framed and aluminum skylights, terminology, tolerances, standards of performance, and workmanship are those specified in ANSI / AAMA.
- Provide certified independent laboratory test reports from an accredited laboratory.
- Provide certification for compliance and approval.
1.05 TESTING AND PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Test units, unless otherwise noted, shall conform to the impact, static, cyclic, air and water tests as set forth by the SBCCI and the Metropolitan Dade County Building Code Compliance Office.
- Test procedure and performance
- Skylights shall conform to criteria for conducting impact, static, cyclic, air and water tests as set forth by the SBCCI and the Metropolitan Dade County Building Code Compliance Office.
- Impact Test PA 201-94 and 302.1-302.3.2
1. Missile Impact Skylight with a solid S4S nominal 2 x 4, #2 surface dry, Southern Pine of not less than 8-6" in length and 9 pounds in weight at a velocity between 50 and 52 ft / sec without defined specimen failure.
- Cyclic Wind Pressure Loading Test PA 203-94 and 302.4 302.7.3
- Apply loads to the specimen using the cycles specified in the South Florida Building Code and as in Table 1 of SSTD 12-97 without failure.
- Specified Design Pressure (DP) should not be less than 75 psf.
- Uniform Static Pressure Test PA 202-94
- Conduct air leakage test at 1.57 psf and 6.24 psf in accordance with ASTM E-283. Air infiltration should not exceed .06 cfm.
- Conduct water leakage test in accordance with ASTM E 331 without any evidence of uncontrolled water. Minimum water test pressure should not be less than 10 psf.
- Conduct static load test in accordance with ASTM E 330. Deflection should not exceed L/180 when subject to a uniform load.
- Shop Drawings
- Submit scaled shop drawings and all conditions of construction, including location diagrams, identification of and spacing of anchorage, framing members, joinery, glazing materials and sealant details.
- Structural Calculations
- Provide structural calculations by a licensed structural engineer demonstrating structural compatibility with project requirements.
- Test Reports
- Provide certified independent laboratory test reports verifying compliance with requirements in Section 1.05.
- Submit ( ) 6" lengths of aluminum extrusions.
- Submit ( ) color samples of finish to be used on aluminum extrusions.
- Submit ( ) 12" x 12" glazing samples to be used.
- Provide manufacturers warranty in accordance with the contract documents.
- Provide glazing manufacturers warranty as furnished by the supplier.
- Provide installation warranty in accordance with the contract documents.
- Stating that skylight materials for above project will be free from defects and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from date of substantial completion.
- Stating that glazing shall be free from defective materials and defects in manufacture for a period of five (5) years from date of substantial completion.
- The contractor shall assume responsibility for handling, installation and weather seal for a period of one (1) year from date of substantial completion.
Part 2 PRODUCTS
2.01 MATERIALS & GENERAL NOTES
- Acceptable Skylight Manufacturers
- Skylight Sales, Inc. / Paramount Skylights
9187 Villa Palma Lane
West Palm Beach, FL 33418
Office: 561-776-2815 Fax: 561-776-1417
- Architect Approved Equal
1. Products of other manufacturers must be pre-qualified to bid not less than ten (10) days prior to bid date.
2. Provide proof of compliance with SBCCI / Metropolitan Dade County Compliance criteria for large and / or small missile impact test including supporting technical data, engineering calculations, certification of equivalent experience, and samples for comparison.
- Extruded aluminum structural members shall be 6063-T5 alloy and temper and not less than nominal .125" wall thickness for master frame and rafters and not less than a nominal .100" on purlins.
- Structural caps and closures shall be 6063-T5 alloy and temper and not less than nominal .062" wall thickness and cover plates being not less than nominal .050"
- All exterior framing surfaces to receive electrostatic paint, unless otherwise noted. Color to be selected.
- Glazing and Gaskets
- Glazing to be 3/8" polycarbonate (GE Lexan XL, or equal) Color to be selected.
- Gaskets to be neoprene.
- Fasteners to be stainless steel.
- All 18-8 screws to be stainless steel #12 x 1-1/2" hex head S.M.S. with rubber and metal washer.
- All silicon to be G.E. 1000, or equal.
- All joints on pressure bar and beauty cap to be siliconed.
- All inside welds to be stitch weld (MIG or HELI-ARC) and shall be spaced no more than 12" on center
- All stitch weld to be 2" in length and 3/8" in throat.
- All welding shall be performed by a certified welder.
- Structural Curbs
- Curbs to be properly prepared by others to within (+ -) " tolerance.
- Curbs Sills to be bedded in sealant.
- The adequacy of the existing supporting structure shall be verified to safely support the skylight system.
- Skylights shall be factory fabricated and assembled where feasible. Assembly to be in the largest possible sections, according to job-site conditions.
- Design rafter bars and cap to accept glazing gaskets.
- Cover all exposed to view pressure plates with an extruded snap-in-place cover plate.
- Use setting blocks to support glazing.
- Locate weep holes to properly drain water to the exterior at each rafter.
Part 3 EXECUTION
- After verification of field conditions and properly prepared openings, install skylight system in strict accordance with approved submittal drawings.
- Skylight system must be installed by a factory authorized and licensed contractor.
- Protect all dissimilar metals with a heavy coat of zinc chromate or bituminous paint.
- Install true and plumb without warping or racking.
- Apply appropriate sealants where indicated on shop drawings and in accordance with manufacturers recommendations.
3.02 CLEANING AND PROTECTION
- Clean all exposed surfaces and remove labels and excessive silicone from skylight.
- Touch up any finish blemish and replace parts that cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired.
Tips to help insure a successful project:
- Know your design pressure and specify it clearly to insure compliance within your jurisdiction.
- Review our specifications and edit them for glazing tint, frame finish, custom colors, and if needed, design pressures.
- Review surrounding construction details and the ability of your underlying structure to make sure it is able to handle the loads imposed on it by the proposed skylight system.
- Note that in Florida, overhead glazings and skylights must meet Large Missile Impact requirements for anything located up to 30' above the grade elevation.
- Feel free to fax or e-mail your drawings to us for review. We offer this service free of charge in an effort to help avoid costly and time-consuming errors that can become associated with Florida's ever-changing Hurricane Skylight Requirements.
Skylight Sales, Inc.
9187 Villa Palma Lane
West Palm Beach, Florida 33418
Office: 561-776-2815 Fax: 561-776-1417
Mobile: 561-707-7628 Toll Free: 877-776-1415